Mental Health & Addictions>

How do I get help with my mental health?

What to do in an emergency

If you are seriously concerned about someone's immediate safety:

  • call 111 or take them to the accident and emergency department (A&E) at your nearest hospital
  • phone your nearest hospital, or your district health board's psychiatric emergency service or mental health crisis assessment team
  • remain with them and help them to stay safe until support arrives.


  • Need to talk? 1737 - free call or text
  • The Depression Helpline: 0800 111 757
  • Healthline: 0800 611 116
  • Lifeline: 0800 543 354
  • Samaritans: 0800 726 666
  • Youthline: 0800 376 633
  • Alcohol Drug Helpline: 0800 787 797

How do I seek help?

Your GP is a great place to start for getting assistance in a non-crisis situation. They will be able to provide advice and may suggest treatment options, including medication, psychotherapy and counselling.

Sometimes and where appropriate, they can refer you to another person or organisation. Most DHB specialist mental health services require a referral. Your GP will initiate a referral if you meet the criteria.

Please click on the following link to find a GP near you, if you do not already have a GP.

You are able to access some community mental health services directly but others requires a referral from a DHB service or your GP.

Please click on the following links to view mental health services in the following categories:

Within each category you can refine by region, age and referral accepted by.