Mental Health & Addictions>

What will it cost me?

Public (DHB) specialist mental health services are provided free of charge to New Zealand (NZ) residents and citizens or people on an NZ work permit. To access many of these services you will require a referral from your general practitioner (GP). When you visit your GP practice for a consultation there is often an associated charge and you will need to contact your GP practice to confirm what that is.

Community mental health services are generally free for NZ residents and citizens, or people on an NZ work permit. Access however tends to be via other mental health services or your GP. 

Some mental health services are partially government funded and there may be a charge to the user. Other mental health services are privately funded and are totally paid for by the user. View the service profile on Healthpoint for information on charges or contact the service directly.