Counties Manukau Health Speech Language Therapy
Public Service, Allied Health
Counties Manukau Home Healthcare Speech and Language Therapy (SLT)
We see adults aged 16 years and older who present with swallowing and/or communication difficulties.
- Assessment and differential diagnosis of communication and/or swallowing difficulty.
- Intervention, which may be therapy and/or management.
- Information, education, advice, and support to patients, carers and families.
- Interdisciplinary casework management with the wider clinical team.
- Collaborate and liaise with community groups such as the Volunteer Stroke Scheme, Stroke Association, Parkinson’s NZ, Motor Neuron Disease Association, Talk Link Trust.
- Assess and advice around communication aids.
Conditions that may require SLT input include but are not limited to:
- Cancer- head and neck, brain, and lung.
- Neurodegenerative diseases e.g. Parkinson’s Disease, Huntington’s disease, Multiple Systems Atrophy, Motor Neuron Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Dementia, Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, Friedreich’s Ataxia, Muscular Dystrophy.
- Intellectual Disability (dysphagia cases).
- Chronic Stroke (post 2 years).
- Trauma to head and neck or spine.
- Old age.
- Congenital conditions.
- Palliative care.
- Children (can be referred to the Ministry of Education, Special Education services, or Kidz First Child development Team).
- Residents in a Private Hospital or Rest Home. Speech-Language Therapy services need to be contracted privately by the Rest Home/Private Hospital. Private therapists can be found on: www.speechtherapy.org.nz