Ōamaru Hospital Services
Public Service, Community, Allied Health, Cardiology, Dermatology, Emergency, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology & Hepatology (Liver), General Surgery, Laboratory Tests, Mental Health, Midwifery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Older People's Health, Oncology, Ophthalmology, Paediatrics, Radiology, Respiratory, Rheumatology
Hours of services from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week, all year except Christmas Day.
This service is available to all people in the community within the Waitaki District. It is based at Ōamaru Hospital but extends into remote rural areas as required. On receipt of a referral from any health professional, a district nurse will visit patients at home either as requested by their GP or after discharge from hospital for an assessment of their needs.
It may include assessments for the following:
- general assessments including ACC
- surgical and medical follow-ups, including removal of sutures and health education
- administration of medications - intramuscular, subcutaneous and intravenous
- care of the terminally ill and their families
- wound care
- personal hygiene (short term, Mon to Fri only)
- Meals on Wheels (Mon to Fri only)
- domestic assistance (Mon to Fri only)
- short term equipment loan
- clients can make an appointment to have treatments done at the district nurses rooms if this is convenient.
Non-urgent referrals are usually seen within 3 working days unless otherwise requested. Urgent referrals are assessed within 24 hours.