Counties Manukau Health Volunteers
Public Service, Other
Friends of the Emergency Department
This group of volunteers provides comfort, information and support of a non clinical nature to patients (and their relatives) while they are waiting for or undergoing treatment in the Emergency Department.
The general type of work involves:
- sitting with, listening to and talking with patients
- assisting relatives in family (whānau) rooms and supporting them if required
- keeping a reassuring eye on patients in the waiting room
- offering a shoulder to cry on or a hand to hold
- assisting with dependent (elderly) relatives or children
- helping out with the delivery and serving of meals and cups of tea
- assisting patients by finding them a magazine or the telephone
- help out with making beds
- assisting with the general tidiness of public areas.
Key requirements of a volunteer are:
- excellent communication skills
- a compassionate and caring nature
- tact and sensitivity
- an appreciation of different cultures and age groups.
If you have what it takes to become a Friend of the Emergency Department, phone toll-free on 0800 St John (78 5646).