Public Service, Palliative Care, Cancer Network Group, Community Health
How do I access this service?
Patients may be referred to Mercy Hospice by their General Practitioner, Nurse Practitioner, Private Medical Specialist or Hospital Service. Referrals are currently received by emails or fax, but a more…
Mercy Hospice receives referrals from General Practitioners, Medical Specialists, Medical Officers / Nurse Practitioners in residential care facilities, Auckland City Hospital Ward Teams and Community Palliative Care nurses following consultation with the patient's GP.
Mercy Hospice services are free to people in our area that have a palliative diagnosis and require specialist palliative services. We are partially funded by ADHB but require extensive annual fundraising efforts to continue to provide high level palliative services to the people in our area.
61 College Hill, Ponsonby, Auckland
Mercy Hospice service includes:
- full 24/7 onsite nursing, medical and allied health care to people admiited into our 13 bed inpatient unit
- full 24/7 access by phone to nursing advice
- full 24/7 access by phone (Doctor Direct Line) to MH medical specialist advice ** exclusively for GPs, Medical Officers in care facilities, Nurse Practitioners, other medical specialists
- home visits by MH community nurses 7:00 to 22:00, 7 days a week, dependent on patient needs
- home visits by MH community doctors, on request of GPs or Medical Officers (Residential Care Facilities)
- home visits by MH allied health team, 8:00 to
Mercy Hospice Inpatient Unit Visiting Hours:
Generally visitors are welcome at Mercy Hospice during daylight hours. Close whānau have access to their family member 24/7 if there is a need and with consideration of all patients being cared for in the unit at that time.
Procedures / Treatments
The 13-bed hospice inpatient unit is at 61 College Hill, Ponsonby.… More
Community Palliative Care Team
The Community Palliative Care Team is multidisciplinary and consists of:
Family Support (Allied Health) Team
The Family Support Team includes Social Workers, Kaiatawhai, Counsellors, Spiritual Liaison, Chinese Liaison and Occupational Therapist, and provides for patients, family and whanau the following services:… More
Mercy Hospice Volunteer Team
Hospice Volunteers provide extensive service in many areas including:
support for patients and whanau in the inpatient unit, particularly managing the tea/coffee and drinks trolleys while providing friendly interaction… More
Palliative Medicine Specialists (Senior Medical Officers)
Mercy Hospice Palliative Medical Specialists provide:
medical care for the patients in the inpatient unit… More
End of life care
Hospice and palliative care services
- Community palliative care service
- Palliative residential/carer support
- generally 10am to 8pm every day but depends on the needs of the patient and whānau
- consideration of patient rest time between 12 noon to 2pm, with close family present only
The hospice is at 61 College Hill, Ponsonby, half way up College Hill on the right from Victoria Park.
Motorway access is via the Nelson St off-ramp from the Southern and Northwestern Motorways and via the Fanshawe St exit from the Northern Motorway.
There is an Inner City Link bus stop at the entrance gate to Mercy Hospice.
On-site parking is available for families and visitors - use College Hill entrance.
Mercy Hospice has experienced Clinical Pharmacists on staff working with clinicians to maintain an excellent standard of prescribing and medication management.
We do not have a Pharmacy service that dispenses to the public.
For information on travel directions, public transport and parking, please click here.
Supporting the Hospice
Hospice services are partly funded by the Auckland DHB and are provided at no cost to patients. Support and contributions from the community are always welcome.
For ways you may help please contact Mercy Hospice Volunteer Coordinator or Fundraising Team (09 3615966).
There are eight MERCY HOSPICE shops at:
- 300 Ponsonby Rd, Ponsonby
- 453 Mt Eden Rd, Mt Eden
- The Arcade, Pt Chevalier
- 188 Ladies Mile, Ellerslie (Clothing/general goods and Furniture/electrical)
- 728 Manukau Rd, Royal Oak (opposite Pak 'N Save)
- 560 Blockhouse Bay Rd, Blockhouse Bay
- 22 Stoddard Rd, Mt Roskill
- 320 Remuera Rd, Remuera
Support of hospice shops enables “Second hand goods to be turned into first class care”.
61 College Hill
61 College Hill
P O Box 47693
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 10:20AM on August 12, 2021. This information is reviewed and edited by Mercy Hospice.